Ambassador of the Month: Jeremy Young
Name: Jeremy Young
Company: Verizon Enterprise Solutions
Role: Sr. Client Executive (Field sales)
- What brought you to Austin and how long have you been here?
I’ve been in Austin for 3 years. I took advantage of an internal re-org to transfer to an open position to get back to Texas after a 2 year stint in Philadelphia. I lived in Dallas before that and prefer the weather and culture of Texas to just about anywhere else.
- How did you get connected to AYC?
I am from Tulsa, OK originally and lived there for a couple of years after college. Tulsa Young Professionals is a very similar organization which I was also involved in. After settling in here I looked for more ways to get involved, and found AYC and the Ambassador committee to be a great fit.
- What are you involved with in AYC or what is your favorite part of AYC?
I’m the current Chair of the Ambassador committee. I enjoy meeting and connecting people, and helping facilitate and host events. I’ve always enjoyed hosting and being involved at this level I feel like AYC events are a second home. I get to help host AYC family and meet new friends at every event!
- Where can we find you brunching in Austin on any given Saturday?
In the summer you’ll find me floating on a lake or down a river. When it’s too cold for that, like below 80* :-), you’ll find me anywhere with queso or great tacos. My breakfast hidden gem is Café Java off Metric.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and what would you use it for?
First thing that comes to mind is teleportation. I would use it for everything. Can you imagine never having to fly or drive unnecessarily again? You could get so much done!
- If you could have any celebrity live next door to you, who would it be?
Zac Brown. I’m a huge fan and if I’m to believe his songs, we have a lot in common when it comes to hanging out with our toes in the water and beers in our hands.
- If you had guests visiting Austin for the weekend, where is the first place you would take them to show them a good time?
For restaurants I make everyone try Torchy’s and Hopdoddy. But I’m pretty sure that’s a common answer. I just took my Mom to the Austin Food and Wine Festival, one of my favorite Austin events, and we saw a beautiful sunset at the Oasis on Lake Travis during her visit. Great times indeed.
- If you played hooky for a day, where would we find you and what would you be doing?
I’d be on a boat with either a fishing rod or a cold beverage in my hand… possibly both.
- When people ask you what you do for a living, what do you tell them?
I tell them I’m in field sales for Verizon on the wireline side. I connect global companies with their networks and communication systems. Essentially I help people communicate more effectively…..and I don’t know anything about cell phone plans.
- What technology could you not live without?
Electricity…. Is that too vague? True though.
- Who inspires you?
Neil deGrasse Tyson – He’s a very rare combination of extremely smart, but also funny and caring. His interviews with John Stewart over the years were amazing. John Stewart too for that matter.
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
Paying off my student loans.
- If you couldn’t live in Austin, where would you want to live?
Cedar Park 🙂
- I want to learn how to…?
Build houses from the ground up.
Soup or Salad? Salad
Indoors or Outdoors? Outdoors
Winter or Summer? Summer
Tea or Coffee? Coffee
Beer or Wine? Wine
Mountains or Beach? Beach