AMBASSADOR OF THE MONTH: MICHAEL BANTA
Name: Michael Banta
Role: Enterprise Client Executive
- What brought you to Austin and how long have you been here? I wanted to get into software, and Austin is the best hub due to lower cost of living and zero state income tax. Been here over 3 years now!
- How did you get connected to AYC? I attended a couple events and committee meetings. Next thing I know I’m involved and quickly gained some amazing friends.
- What are you involved with in AYC or what is your favorite part of AYC? I’m involved with the ambassador committee, the economic development committee, and I help plan and run one of our largest annual events – Casino Social! Everyone should go, even if you’re not familiar with casino games or poker tournaments. There’s really something for everyone.
- Where can we find you brunching in Austin on any given Saturday? Oh this is tough…. I find myself going to Eastside Tavern more and more – it’s awesome!
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and what would you use it for? I want to be able to fly so I can avoid the dreaded commercial flying experience. I could go anywhere any time. Oh, and I could fly right over Austin traffic.
- If you could have any celebrity live next door to you, who would it be? Honestly, the last thing I want is a celebrity next to me. I’m sure many of them are nice, but I don’t want all the attention they get around or near me.
- If you had guests visiting Austin for the weekend, where is the first place you would take them to show them a good time? We’d do Congress Avenue from the capital all the way down through SoCo. You get a bit of everything on that walk.
- If you played hooky for a day, where would we find you and what would you be doing? I’d most certainly be with my dog walking the greenbelt – I’ve done it before 😉 It’s so nice when there isn’t a soul around.
- When people ask you what you do for a living, what do you tell them? I usually say something ridiculous like being in the circus, or professional base jumper depending on the conversation. Most enjoy the sarcasm.
- What technology could you not live without? Internet! I don’t have any social media, but I cannot live without access to the stock markets. It’s been a hobby of mine since college. I follow it with a microscope.
- Who inspires you? Quite a few people. Some are still around and others have passed on. To name a few: Richard Branson, Calvin Coolidge, Andrew Carnegie, Ray Dalio, and the list goes on.
- What is your proudest accomplishment? Another tough one…. I moved to Texas without a job, and without any connections. I ended up hustling to get a job for which I was not qualified, but it was exactly what I wanted at the time.
- If you couldn’t live in Austin, where would you want to live? I’d go back to Colorado. Not sure in which city, but I love, and miss, the mountains.
- I want to learn how to…? Race Formula 1 cars.
Soup or Salad? Neither are great options, but – gun to my head – I chose salad.
Indoors or Outdoors? Outdoors for sure. Who chooses indoors?
Winter or Summer? Winter, all day, err day.
Tea or Coffee? Sweet tea specifically – has to be sweet.
Beer or Wine? Beer. I’ve been on the craft beer binge for years
Mountains or Beach? Let’s be serious – mountains!