Member of the Month: Monica Andry
Name: Monica Andry
Title: Business Development Manager
Company: University Federal Credit Union (UFCU)
- How did you get to Austin?
I moved here when I was 8 years old from Los Angeles, California. Needless to say, Austin was very different back then and it was a big adjustment! Crickets and wolf howling everywhere.
- Why did you join the AYC?
I wanted to feel more informed about our City and what I could do to contribute. I was also looking for some development opportunities that I normally wouldn’t be exposed to in my day to day work environment. Even though I work at a financial institution, I rarely work with numbers so I signed up to be the Treasurer of the Austin Young Chamber Foundation to get some hands on experience with budgets.
- What is your favorite lunch spot?
I love Cover 3
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and what would you use it for?
I would want the power of healing so that I could help everyone be healthy and enjoy full happy lives free of sickness and ailments.
- If you could have any celebrity live next door to you, who would it be?
I love Salma Hayek because she’s smart, funny and beautiful. We would seriously cause some trouble together as 2 very opinionated Latinas!
- What are your top 3 things to do/see in Austin?
I love walking Town Lake, checking out a new place to eat and going salsa dancing afterwards to work it off.
- If you played hooky for a day, where would we find you?
At home in my bed with a bag of Doritos binge watching the show Empire.
- When people ask you what you do for a living, what do you tell them?
I tell them that my job is to help our UFCU branches connect with their local communities and find ways to help make a difference.
- What do you think is the best invention in the past 50 years?
The Chi hair iron. Oh and the little light up owl alarm clock that tells your toddler it’s not ready to wake up yet.
- Who was your first Facebook friend?
Wow, how can I look that up, do tell please?
- If you couldn’t live in Austin, where would you want to live?
Even though I’m a reborn Texan, I’m a California beach girl at heart. I would live somewhere next to the ocean or a vineyard in California in a second!