September Letter from our Board Chair
Dear Austin Young Chamber Members, Sponsors, Partners, and Community Members:
I hope you had a relaxing and refreshing Labor Day. It is important that we remember the meaning of the important day we just celebrated. It is a celebration of our workforce, people who work hard to support themselves, their families and who are the epitome of what it means to live and work in our country.
Now on to an update on the Austin Young Chamber where we are focused on the young workforce in this great city of Austin that we call home.
We have had a great year thus far and it is only getting better. This month of September is filled with must attend programs.
Our Annual Nonprofit Fair is on September 18th. This is a great chance to get connected with some awesome organizations in town that are looking for support from our young professional community. Big thanks to Katie Denton, Daja Gegen, and the Leadership Service Committee for their hard work in putting on this important event.
You should also check out this month’s Speaker Series on September 27th. Tracy King, VP of Public Affairs for AT&T will be speaking. Tracy serves on our Advisory Board. We’d love to see a packed house to learn from her.
You can find a list of all the programs happening in September here.
I am so excited for where the Young Chamber is going. We really believe that Austin can have the most talented, prepared, and community-focused workforce in the country. Our Board of Directors, Staff, Committee leaders, and members are working hard to ensure that the Young Chamber is playing a significant role in making the above statement a reality.
One of the things that I think is really important for everyone to remember is that the Austin Young Chamber is a CHAMBER. We exist to create business and community success. We exist to serve as a voice for our members and the young professional workforce in Austin.
What makes us a Chamber?
- We have corporate members (along with individual ones). Companies in town like Capital One, EncoTech, Civilitude and many others have invested in corporate memberships. Perhaps your company should consider joining? What a great benefit for your younger employees!
- We have an Economic Development committee that focuses on not only business, but also policy and civic engagement.
- We host the Austin Fast Start program with the City of Austin. This program is all about building up small businesses in Austin. The next one is coming up on September 25th and it will focus on sustainable business.
- We offer a variety of workforce development, whether it is through our LEAD Summit, lunch and learns, mentoring, or the opportunity to get hands-on leadership experience by serving on one of our committees.
We are so proud to be a chamber in a city like Austin full of great chambers of commerce like the Greater Austin Chamber, the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber, the Greater Austin Black Chamber, the Greater Austin Asian Chamber and the Austin LGBT Chamber. All of our chambers are committed to making Austin the best place to live and work in the country.
I want to thank you for your commitment to the Austin Young Chamber. Whatever role you have played in our organization – whether it be member, partner, sponsor, friend – thank you for all your support. You are one of the reasons we are successful. We are here for you and because of you.
But, we need more from you. I have two requests:
- Help us find more members. The Austin Young Chamber is the place for all young professionals to achieve business and community success. We offer a variety of programs and leadership development opportunities to connect young professionals to their community and empower them to step into leadership roles. We are even sweetening the deal starting September 17th with a 25 percent discount during our membership drive.
- We are embarking on our next strategic plan and we need input. Would you please email our Board of Directors at Board@AustinYoungChamber.org and share two or three things you would like to see us accomplish over the next three years?
Thank you for being a part of the Austin Young Chamber and for committing to helping us grow. Austin’s future is bright and we cannot wait for tomorrow!
2018 Chair, Board of Directors
Austin Young Chamber