Austin Young Chamber of Commerce
Program Coordinator Job Description
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Date: Position available immediately
Employment/Benefits: Full Time – Salaried; Health Care, Phone Stipend; Perks from our Partners
Reports to: Executive Director unless otherwise stated
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
About the Austin Young Chamber of Commerce (AYC):
AYC is a 501c6 membership association founded in 2009 with nearly 600 individual members in the Central Texas area. By joining the staff of the AYC you will have the opportunity to expand your network, gain valuable experience, and be part of a small but thriving team that operates in a start-up style environment.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to plan, coordinate and implement monthly programs and special events for AYC members and the young professional community at large. AYC’s events and programs are informed by a strategic plan and many are coordinated in conjunction with one of several member-run committees. The Program Coordinator will assist the Executive Director in planning a variety of additional partner programs in the community, and may also assist the Director of Development with signature fundraising events. This position will include communications, marketing, and some fundraising responsibilities to ensure programming success.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
With the support of the Staff and Board, the Program Coordinator will be responsible for coordination of all AYC monthly programs, including speaker series, speed networking events, happy hours, morning coffees, and panels/workshops.
- Identify venues, recruit volunteers, secure speakers, sponsors, and vendors. Duties will include negotiating agreements, managing expectations, and maintaining all pertinent lines of communication to ensure event success.
- Create goals for each program and help develop and implement a communication strategy to meet those goals (i.e. maximize engagement for members / attendees and ROI for sponsors).
- Manage all pre-, onsite, and post- program logistics including acquisition of all needed supplies, sponsor activation plans, set up/strike, registration, and liaising with vendors and volunteers.
- Track and evaluate event metrics including attendance and budget versus actual.
Liaise with at least three programmatic, member-led committees to ensure members are successful and programs are aligned with strategic plan.
- Attend monthly committee meetings of program committees (Economic Development, Imagine, Leadership Service) to provide support for and consistency between member-led initiatives.
- Serve as point of contact between Executive Director, Director of Development, Board Liaison and Committee Chair to ensure each committee has the tools and resources necessary to be successful.
Plan and implement logistics for AYC special events that include, but are not limited to, the Annual Tailgate, Crawfish Boil, and Nominations/Voting Parties for the Annual FAVE Awards.
- Work with Director of Development to develop and implement full event vision including marketing, fundraising, budgeting, and volunteer components.
- Coordinate all event communications and ticket sales.
- Oversee event implementation including securing all necessary supplies, vendors, volunteers and manage event set up, guest check in, sponsor activation, and strike.
- Assist Executive Director on additional projects as needed, such as workshops and civic engagement events.
- Work in various capacities at fundraising and volunteer events as needed.
- Assist with membership recruitment and member engagement during events.
- General administrative support as needed.
The Austin Young Chamber has a small staff, produces a lot of events, and operates as a non-profit organization. The ideal candidate can multitask, wear multiple hats, and is a team player; is frugal and very comfortable asking for donations; can articulate our vision, mission and purpose with authenticity; and works well in a dynamic environment (co-working space). Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in non-profit management, hospitality, communications, public relations/marketing, or related fields, or equivalent work experience (at least 3 years).
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Knowledge of social media tools, MS Office and Google Apps. Experience with HTML, email marketing and content management systems (Eventbrite, Mail Chimp), Adobe InDesign, WordPress, digital photography a plus.
- Customer service skills – we are a membership association after all.
- The ability to think on your feet, problem solve, and maintain a positive attitude.
- The ability to be precise and attend to details.
- The ability to meet deadlines, be organized and goal-oriented.
- Ability to work several evenings per week (no later than 9:00PM in most cases).
Physical Demands and Environment:
The Program Coordinator will be expected to have daily transportation. The position requires a flexible schedule as events and meetings may occur in the evenings or occasionally on weekends. He/she will spend some time in the office that could involve intermittent physical activities including bending, reaching, sitting and walking. Additionally it is anticipated that the person may spend several hours of each day seated at a PC. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a person with physical disabilities to perform the job. Because we are a dynamic and changing organization, responsibilities and duties included in this job description are subject to modification as the needs of the organization change.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to our Executive Director – Matt@AustinYoungChamber.org. References and letters of recommendation are not required but will be accepted. Application deadline is March 18, 2016.