MEMBER OF THE MONTH: Shelby Olivier
Name: Shelby Olivier (Insta: @_shelbyolivier)
Company: Red Velvet Events
Role: Program Manager
- What brought you to Austin and how long have you been here?
I moved to Austin about 2.5 years ago for my job with Red Velvet Events. The time has flown by, but it’s been awesome getting to know this city! There is still so much more to discover, and that part is fun.
- How did you get connected to AYC?
I had just moved to Austin and was talking to my mentor about ways to get involved in the community and she suggested AYC. I checked it out and knew it would be a great organization to get involved with.
- What are you involved with in AYC AND what is your favorite part of AYC?
I serve on the FAVE Committee (hope to see you all at the FAVE Awards on November 10th!) which I love because I love galas (duh), I love that members get to recognize their favorite local businesses, and I love that it has given me a chance to get to know individuals from AYC much more personally. My favorite part about AYC is how everyone has a different background, but everyone is eager to contribute to the community. I love the enthusiasm and pride for Austin.
- Where can we find you brunching in Austin on any given Saturday?
You can find me at Quack’s Bakery in Hyde Park with a cup of coffee and my dog ☺ I love my Saturday morning walks to Quacks!
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and what would you use it for?
Teleportation so I could travel more and avoid airport security.
- If you could have any celebrity live next door to you, who would it be?
…..Taylor Swift (no shame). Just seems like if I needed to borrow a cup of sugar she’d be cool about it.
- If you had guests visiting Austin for the weekend, where is the first place you would take them to show them a good time?
I usually take people to Skylark Lounge or Elephant Room. Both feel like ‘true Austin’ to me and you can catch some really great shows at both spots. Plus, I love jazz and blues so it’s fun for me too!
- If you played hooky for a day, where would we find you and what would you be doing?
For sure Town Lake Hike & Bike Trail followed by lunch at Picnik on Burnet Rd, my two most absolute favorite spots in Austin.
- When people ask you what you do for a living, what do you tell them?
I coordinate and manage all aspects of corporate events including conferences, incentive trips, corporate parties, etc. Corporate Event Planner, Experience Designer, whatever you want to call it, but I love my job.
- What technology could you not live without?
I know it’s dorky but probably my Apple Watch. When I’m onsite for an event I’m usually running around for hours, and when vendors are trying to get ahold of me I love that I can answer calls and texts from my watch vs. having to have my phone in my hand constantly.
- Who inspires you?
My friends and family. If you’re in one of those two categories, then I obviously think the world of you.
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
At one point I took a break during undergrad to take a step back and slow down. I felt like I had rushed into a career path without having any life experience, and I wasn’t totally sure if it was what I really wanted to do. During that time I moved across the country and simplified my life by working as a barista at a café, and it was there where I learned my most valuable life lessons (so far) and was able to discover what I’m truly passionate about. I’ll always be grateful for that decision and giving myself time to explore.
- If you couldn’t live in Austin, where would you want to live?
Hmm maybe the French Countryside – assuming that includes fresh baguettes and croissants every morning, oui?
Soup or Salad? Soup
Indoors or Outdoors? Outdoors
Winter or Summer? Summer
Tea or Coffee? Coffee
Beer or Wine? Wine
Mountains or Beach? BOTH! I’m an adult. I can choose both, right?